RCT/ ENDODONTIC TREATMENT
It is a field of dentistry that treats the root canal system. When decay extends to the pulp or the nerve inside the tooth, the person almost always experiences
spontaneous throbbing pain. The pain increases at night and is aggravated with cold & sweet foods.
- It is a skilled and time consuming procedure that can requires two or more visits. Root canal treatment consists of the following stages:
- Removing the remains of the infected pulp and, if an abscess is present, allowing it to drain.
- Cleaning and shaping of the root canals ready for filling
- Checking the tooth to ensure that the infection
is cleared and if so, filling the canal/s permanently.
- Restoring the tooth with a permanent restoration.
Radiographic view of a endodontically treated tooth:
Following a root canal treatment, the tooth is fragile due to insults from decay and mechanical instrumentation and is prone to fracture. Overtime colour changes are also observed. To protect the tooth from fracture your dentist will advise a crown. Sometimes depending upon the amount of tooth structure that is lost, a post (a metal or a glass fibre pin) will need to be placed for added retention of the crown.