Over time, people’s teeth tend to naturally deteriorate and often needs to be extracted. When multiple teeth are extracted, dentures may be the most appropriate solution. Dentures can create a natural and healthy looking set of teeth. In addition, a properly fitting set of dentures can greatly enhance your smile and sense of self-esteem.
Types of Dentures
- Complete Dentures
- Partial Dentures
- Immediate Dentures
- Implant Supported Dentures
Once Your Dentures Have Been Placed
- At first, your dentures will feel uncomfortable because the gums and tissue are not accustomed to being in contact with man-made relining material.
- Once placed, dentures should be worn continually for the first few days to reduce the amount of swelling that may occur in the mouth. This swelling typically subsides in two to three days.
- Until patients adjust to their new set of teeth, the dentures may feel loose and awkward while chewing food.
- Eating soft food may be necessary for the first few days.
- Reading aloud helps to overcome any speech impediments that may occur from the new dentures.
- Typically, lower dentures take longer to get used to than upper dentures.
- The underlying jawbone may take several months to completely heal and become accustomed to the dentures.
- Once this occurs, the dentist removes the dentures and creates a permanent lining for your teeth (a denture lining is the soft material that cushions the contact between the denture and the gum tissues).
- Although dentures typically last about five years, they can last longer with proper care and cleaning.
- Dentures should be cleaned daily with a normal or specially-made denture toothpaste.
- Once the swelling has reduced, it is advisable to leave one or both dentures out at night to allow the gum tissues to breathe.
- In order to prevent dentures from warping, they should be left in water overnight.
- Over time, the lining of the dentures may change, owing to the wear and tear of daily use. In the case of tissue/bone shrinkage, worn down teeth, or breakage, dentures may come loose and need to be remade.